24 July 2006

Look at Me, I'm a Running Blade

Shave my head and carve a symbol
Am I cool, or am I feeble
Look at me, look at me, do I look different?

Eyes widening, jaws dropping
They could remember my name, the first time calling
I'm so cool, I'm so happs, I'm a freak.

They're scaremongering now
Afraid of pale stereotypes and Hollywood kung-paos
The Orient loses its mystic, they speak English, from the dictionary.

You shake your hips, twirl your hair, I don't care
You shut up, just this once, I'll ask you dance
You puncture yourself with holes, paint yourself with ink
You desecrete God's temple, what is your mantle?

Look at me, look at me, look while I'm still around
I follow Mother Nature, you tail the Metro Hound
Be afraid of what you can't see, terror's biting from the front
Use your brain, feel the heart, the moon turns to sun.

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
- The Follow, BMW commercial directed by WKW

__________________________________________________________________

"Sushi. That's what my ex-wife called me - cold fish." - Blade Runner Rick Deckard

Being an ardent Star Wars fan, I can't believe I haven't watch the other sci-fi flick that made Harrison Ford famous. Blade Runner was out-of-this-world. A typical storyline: future humans literally make human-like "friends" called replicants. Bad replicants rebel, our hero Deckard is assigned to wipe them out. What is different about this film is the emotional element, and life-probing questions it poses. The manufacturer's motto is "More human than human". But what defines human? Emotional responses? Goodness? Quest for survival? Director Ridley Scott created a superbly detailed futuristic Earth, dark and murky because of pollution, where technology cannot repair nature. Which mirrors the concept where replicants cannot change the nature of man. Harrison Ford turns in a wonderful performance, deeply troubled with his killer's life, but still exudes his Han Solo/Indy Jones charm when a social situation calls for it. The supporting casts were solid, each displaying the 'pei'-ness of their pathetic existence. However, the standing ovation goes to Scott, for integrating an intriguing drama into a simple sci-fi action flick, without the use of CGI. 10/10.

"Accelerated decrepitude." - replicant Pris' blunt description of her mortality
"Can the maker repair what he makes?" - Roy Batty meets his maker
"If we gift them with a past, we create a cushion or a pillow for their emotions, and consequently, we can control them better." - God to us. I mean, the maker Tyrell to Batty
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." - the more human Batty

3 comments:

  1. eh, you shaved your head ah?

    i can't believe you beat me to watching blade runner! it's one of my many many to-watch movies......knowing me la, where got time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phing: thankyouthankyouthankyou, yes I wrote it.

    Jie: Ya, for Peppers concert, pls don't tell Pa haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently the film is based on the book: Do androids dream of electric sheep. Its available online.

    ReplyDelete