20 October 2009

Sustainability

"Much of what the media interpret as a global trend toward frugality is actually a recession-driven manifestation of a more encompassing sustainability megatrend, reflecting a shift toward an environmentally conscious, less showy lifestyle."

The above quote is from a BCG article on the economic downturn.  It cannot ring more true about what I believe about the world, and the environment I live in.

I think I was born lean.  Yes I have been chubby all my life, but my thinking about reduce waste & consumption, is something that I strangely adopted for most of my life.  Not sure whether it's that Recycle song on Radio 4, or the water-saving documentaries they showed on TV2, that made me think my household was just using too much plastic bags.  Alas, when I thought being a consultant is perfect to apply lean thinking, I find consultancies are just another business opportunity-type job created by bullshit-acing Americans.

As much as people preach Less is More, I have concluded that the majority of humankind believe more is more.  Blame the consumer culture on mass media, I will.  Also, it helps that I believe Jesus' teaching on being poor, ie stripped of material goods aka hermit-like in other religions, is the truly sustainable way of living.  Why live sustainably?  That's a question that most people couldn't care less.  But I believe it is my way of showing God that the beautiful Earth that he created, is appreciated.  And humankind can survive beyond 3 generations from now.

Well, I think I'm weird enough, so here are some actions that I (un)consciously practice for a sustainable future:
-  when driving alone at night/cloudy day, I tend to turn off the air-con and wind down the windows, unless I'm in the middle of a traffic jam
- I cannot understand why people like to turn down the temperature for air-conditioning, when what they want is cool air, they end up freezing and using blankets to keep warm
- I try my best to bring plastic bags everywhere I go for reuse, and ergonomic bags while grocery shopping
- I always plan out in my mind the shortest route possible, even if it's just to vacuum the house
- I only use flush toilets when necessary, as a gazillion tons of water is wasted everytime we flush
- I realise if I get a house, I actually would not want a TV in the house, and think everyone should sit on tatami mats in the living room (which is not possible considering my mum has a bad back)

I realise there are so many more things, like being anal about switching off lights, cleaning out cabinets, throwing away old CDs which I don't listen to anymore etc.  This is why I think cars are a waste of resources.  This is why I think communism is great.  That is why I think money is not everything.  It's what you give that matters, not what you get.


Thank goodness I am an INTJ.  That I know how to balance practicality with ideals like sustainable living.

No comments:

Post a Comment