1 June 2006

Radiohead@Hammersmith Apollo, 190506

7pm sharp, last stop of Hammersmith and City line. Following the throngs, jumping over fences, Apollo in sight. Some Japanese wuz offering 250 quid for my ticket, I was like, "I don't care You And Whose Army?", and walked into the ancient warehouse. It felt like The National Anthem was playing in there, everybody who belongs and believes in the same thing, their pride hanging on their sleeves. Whilst getting me a Carling, the bar-mate mixed up my change, cuz he thought 2+2=5. Putting on me white loudspeakers, I looked at the propaganda playlist, it was a Open Pick which songs would they play. I placed myself around 15 Steps from the stage, and when the folksy opening act came out, it wasn't half-bad, definitely no Exit Music.




K
E
P
A
L
A




iPod still churning out Ok Computer tunes, the crowd started to gather near. Lucky I was, surrounded by two couples on the sides, and a group of (short) young lads in front of me, having a good safe view from the slanting floor. 8:40pm, The lights dim, the masses roar, and Thom's heart-felt voice broke out. The calm before the anthem. The following mathematical build-up assured me that my every Dollars And Cents were well spent. More euphoria ensured as they belt out two solid new tunes, one with a catchy Arpeggio, the other which I just had to Videotape. Clad in a black hoodie, Jonny kept up the Street Spirit, and proved that he really is a Paranoid Android. The uncompromising melodies and perfect solos cement his place as one of modern rock's legendary guitarist. I got a scare and thought he was suffering from Myxomatosis, when in fact, he was using this tech gadget with flashy lights, which I last saw in a deejaying studio in Hartamas years ago.

Go Slowly, I thought to myself, as I was already in another dimension, where the Spooks are Idioteque, where the musical instruments are magically coherent, where the Bangers N Mash around me. It felt like Everything In Its Right Place. As the swirl of freakish sounds encircle me, background still pounding with disco beats, I opened my eyes. Where are they? There There, it was just a short break. I imagined the music video, the dark forest, and I thought of Alice in Wonderland. Building a House Of Cards, unable to move the heavy queen of hearts. Sitting atop of the tree is that purple cat, its half-moon smile gleaming. I saw beyond the smile to notice a Black Star, and was Lucky to snap back to reality, as the crowd sang-along cheerily to yet another rare song off The Bends.

The encore was to serve as a 4-minute Warning that the out-of-this-world experience is coming to an end. What did I do to deserve this? They haven't play "Wolf At The Door", "Knives Out", "A Punchup At A Wedding"!!, my heart screamed. Ed's sweet voice rang out in the background, "for just a minute there, I ask myself..", reminding myself that the Karma Police will come and get me. A superb 23-song set, pics & vids, I was still smiling outside in the rain, as I ran to the station, in the tube, into Bayswater BK, 11pm. They've firmly radio-ed themselves to my head in the short list of Brit bands I revere: Led Zep, Queen & Coldplay. TQTQ to Ved for my conversion and sorry sorry to Jay for my ignorance.




R
A
D
I
O






p/s highlighted songnames is the set list in sequence, shamelessly forced into this poetic essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment